Thursday 10 January 2013

Papering over the cracks - the Ikea wardrobe makeover

As a lover of all things shabby (and often not chic), I have a slight aversion to the Ikea birch-look veneer that creeps up in budget flats all over the land. But living in a budget flat as I do, it's impossible to avoid on occasion. As you may remember from my Billy bookcase makeover, I have found that with a bit of cupboard paint and TLC, it's possible to turn these things into something slightly unique.

So having given my bedroom a much need lick of paint over the weekend I decided it was time to do something with the shiny perspex-fronted Ikea wardrobe that I inherited from the previous owners of my flat. Some gorgeous paper from the top floor of Paperchase on Tottenham Court Road (I defy you to spend less than an hour up there trying to choose the perfect one!) provided the perfect material for the job.

Before:
After:

The wardrobe wasn't the only inanimate object to be subjected to my makeover whimsy this weekend. The £10 fireplace surround that I'd lugged home from a charity shop on Streatham High Road was on the receiving end of a much needed restyle.

Before:

After:

For the final touch, I'm on the quest for some vintage mirrors as beautifully styled at Seeds and Stitches...



No comments:

Post a Comment